Adoption is supposed to be about finding families for the children that need homes. That is the way adoption is sold to society in a carefully homed marketing message as controlled by the adoption industry and reported on by the mass media.
Finding Faults in Current Adoption Practices is NOT “Anti-Adoption”
The truth is that the adoption system is greatly flawed. It is a profit driven industry. Both adoptive parents and natural parents are exploited for what they bring to the table: money for fees and children for transfer. The children adopted are treated like a commodity with the transfer of parental rights to a child bought and sold.
To point out the truthful views of adoption and to say “adopting is wrong” is not a fault of the speaker. It does not represent bad character, or an unpleasant personal experience, or a need for medication or prayer. To consider a person “Anti-Adoption” can be seen as an insult, but please become educated on what a person is seeking from that view point before dismissing these views as something simplest such as wanting to see children kept in foster care, abused or in orphanages. It is a flaw of the adoption system and only by shedding light on the negatives, can we make positive change for the benefits of ALL involved in adoption.
Coercion and Forced Adoption Practices Are Currently Happening in this Country
While many people might be open to acknowledging the foundation of forced adoption during the Baby Scoop Era, frequently such acknowledgement is followed with the declaration that “Adoption is different now“.
Unfortunately, this cannot be further form the truth. While the overall look and feel of adoption has changed from the maternity homes and openly punitive adoption practices accepted during the 50’s, 60’s and early 70’s in the USA, unethical practices and stalled legal maneuverings still support the forced separation of mothers and fathers from their children.
In most case, the original parents of the child do not have the means to financially battle the adoption agencies in the court of law and they lose. In other cases, the pressure and insurmountable obstacles put in front of parents trying to either not give or revoke relinquishment consent are just more than they have the means to overcome. They are in over their heads, battling a multi-armed industry that wants to beat them down into submission and surrender. Agencies have been known to lie, provide inaccurate information, take advantage of parents in extremely vulnerable times, pit families against each other, stall for time to allow import legal dates to pass, hold children literally as hostages, and in general cheat able, willing, loving parents out of their children.
The forced and unethical adoption of Veronica Brown is only the tip of the iceberg. As there are so many stories that reach my ears these days and as I am so damn tired of being told, “that does not happen anymore”, this page will serve as a clearing house for true stories of modern day adoption coercion.
Adoption cases regarding the biological father being denied his paternal rights and custody to his own child can be found on the Father’s Right pages as well.
Please also familiarize yourself with the truth about the adoption industry today including the business model, their own market research, their history and how it is truly a 3 billion dollar profit driven industry.
Understand the Cultural Views on Adoption that continue to allow these unethical practices to flourish while we all look the other way and tell ourselves that “Adoption is Beautiful’ and all about the “best interests” of the poor “unwanted” children.
And please understand that the Adoption laws in each state are NOT created to protect either the children, nor the parents, but instead have been changed via the force of the adoption lobby groups to make “adoption easier” for the agencies and attorneys whose clients are ultimately the adoptive parents who pay them thousands of dollars.
Adoption Agencies with Questionable Ethical Processes
- Adoption by Gentle Care in Columbus Ohio
- Golden Cradle Adoption Services of Cherry Hill, New Jersey
- Utah’s Adoption Center of Choice Lost its License to Practice Adoption!
- Nightlight Christian Adoption Agency and Raymond Godwin in South Carolina
- A Act of Love in Utah
- BraveLove.org in Texas; an Offshoot Marketing Front for Galdney Center for Adoption
- Angels of Love Adoption Agency in Florida
- RealOptions Crisis Pregnancy Information and Bethany Christian Services Working Together
- Gladney Adoption Center and OBC Access
- A Child’s Waiting in Ohio
- A Guardian Angel Adoptions
This is by no means a full list of agencies at all. There are many many more, these just happen to be ones that I personally looked into and have written about here.
Coercive and Unethical Adoption Practices
- Understating the Use of Gaslighting Manipulation on Birthmothers
- Lack of Informed Consent About All 29 of These Adoption Issues
- Failure to Truly Prepare for Birthmother Grief
- Lack of Adequate Pre Birth Nonbiased Adoption Counseling
- Use of Coercive “Positive Adoption Language”
- Believing the “Open Adoption” Fixes All
- Example of Pre Birth Matching in Adoption Risks
- Paying Birthmother Expenses
- The Common Adoption Practice of the “Unknown Father”
- Ignoring the Risks of Secondary Infertility and Failure to Disclose
- Increased risk of Suicide for Adoptees
- Failure to Disclose Truth of Complicated Grief in Birthmothers
- Awareness about Genetic Sexual Attraction
- Blatant Disregard for the “Primal Wound”
- Assuming the Other Option Would Be Abortion
- False Outcomes Projected on Adoptees; Feelings of Abandonment
- Defending Same Sex Adoption as a Gay Rights Issue
- Hiding Being the Non Profit Adoption Agency Myth
- Fundraising to Adopt
- Parental Pressure to Force Their Daughters to Relinquish
- A World of its Own; Not a Contract, a Relinquishment Consent
- Non Disclosure of True Motives; 13 Billion Dollar Industry
- Using Previous Birthmothers for Marketing and Offering Cash Finder’s Fees
If you have experienced an unethical forced adoption surrender or were lied to, tricked, deceived, or had broken promises made in order to get your child for adoption, please let me know! If you are an adoptive parent who has witness such wrong doings please share your experiences here. It is only when we work together to cal attention to these truths and make the unethical agencies accountable can we really FIX ADOPTION!