Community

Adoptee Songwriter Mary Gauthier at the Rosendale Cafe

A Haunting Musical of a Rejected Bastards Emotional Journey Sometimes I have nothing to write about for adoption and sometimes I have oodles. We are in the middle of an oodles period. In the last three days I have: Seen a screening of the soon to be released movie “Mother and Child” which I reviewed on GIMH. Had an intense and brilliant three hour interview with a NY high school…

How Has Adoption Really Changed?

But adoption is different these days. Surely, you must think that open adoption is better. Adoption just not the same as what you went through. “Really?” I want to say in my best snarky roll my eyes to the god’s way, “Really? You mean human nature has changed so much that mommas actually like giving away their babies?” But there IS a change in adoption. It’s just harder to see.

Adoption’s Silver Lining

Sometimes adoption just confuses me. Not in the regular old sense like “how does all this corruption continue and why won’t so many people bother to see the so logical truth” or “how exploitive and sleazy will agencies have to get before moms see through their tricks?”, but in the tradition of the Talking Heads: Well how did I get here? The fact remains that the relinquishment of my son…

Anti-Adoption Insights

I was combing through my adoption information link list and the list for AAI caught my eye. For many of us, we “began” online on MSN Groups..Adoption, Adoption Insights, Anti-Adoption Insights. The first few years of my online existence were over at those places. They are where I learned to write. It’s where I learned… I clicked it and the site was gone.

Adoption Language and SEO

This is where I get all Geeky, y’all. But not only do I want to explain, but I wish to share the knowledge. Bare with me. It’s worth it. There has been much said about the words we choose to use to explain out adoption experinces. Some words, such as Birthmother, are considered demeaning as well as exploitive and when used as “our birthmother” pripority and condesending. It has been…

Finially! The Montel Williams Adoption Scam footage.

Well, not all of it. Just the part starring…me! In case you missed it, back this time around two years ago, I was on the Montel Williams Show and it was pretty horrible. Since then, I have been trying to get the dern thing online. Long story, but even after having the geeks at the office mess with it, it still could not be converted to a playable file. Though…

About International Adoption in Australia

These Angels Aren’t Telling the Whole Story By Ian Robinson INTER-COUNTRY ADOPTION 18 Nov 2008 Deborra-Lee Furness wants us to import a lot more children from other countries for the Australian adoption market — but it’s an ignorant and selfish approach to the problem of child poverty, writes Ian Robinson In a recent Weekend Australian Magazine, Deborra-Lee Furness breathlessly told her interviewer that there were “103 million orphaned children in the world”. “How can…

Resolutions for 2008

There is this fine line in adoptionland that I really try hard not to trip over. It’s something that, I think, frequently confuses dear Rye. He sees me doing all this stuff, this research, this writing, this time..and he wonders..Hey! Aren’t you EVER going to make any money off of this? Now, really..we know the answer, is NO. Which is fine. I mean, it would be great if I did..just…

Adoption Terminology PC Time Warp

I received this question in my comments in this last post regarding my Adoption Today Article: “congrats on getting published, but i must ask: did the magazine insist, that you denigrate yourself by calling yourself an incubator for this article? somehow i thought that you, Claud, considered yourself to be Max’s mother, not just a walking uterus (i.e. “birth mother”) who produced him for his “true parents” 🙁 it is…

HardCopy: Adoption Today Magazine

Right before I turned thirty, a job that I worked on in my rather small interior design firm had a job printed in Interiors and Sources. It was pretty cool, I have say, seeing my name in a real magazine. It helped with the trauma of turning thirty.. ugg.. But I had a new house, a decent “career” job, and I was expecting a sparkley engagement ring for the occasion..so…

The BEST awareness colors list EVA!!!

Awareness Color Ribbons and Their Meanings It’s really too huge to post here! But it is worth checking out. I thought I was a big deal because I knew that rainbow jigsaws were for Autism Awareness. oh well.. Who knew such things: Red is Pro-life, Orange is for Feral cats and self injury, Yellow is suicide prevention and adoptive parents, Green is a pretty busy color! Tissue and organ donation or transplants,…

Tonight! on the Adoption Show!

THE ADOPTION SHOW Voices Ending the Myth Sunday December 9, 2007 9:00 PM EST OUSA STUDY MOTHERS’ VOICES: SURRENDER EXPERIENCES AND LONG-TERM EFFECTS BERNADETTE WRIGHT Bernadette Wright is a mother who lost her only child, a son who she named Sebastian, to a grey market baby broker in 1990, when she was 19. She has not seen or known anything about her son since he was taken from the hospital…