Taking Adoption Live OnAir
It’s a known fact that I love using internet technology to further our efforts in the adoption community. As the tools of the internet continue to grow, it is important that as a community, we continue, as we always have, to expand our reach and provide voices of adoption truth. My recent experiences on HuffPo LIVE, as well as a ongoing conversation / brainstorm with Suz, have got me thinking about a new project. I think it really needs to happen, but I need your help!
HuffPo and Google Hangouts
HuffPo uses Google hangouts to broadcast their LIVE interviews. While they are continuing to do adoption related discussion and have invited strong voices from our community, the round table format and the adoption innocence of the hosts have left me with the desire for something more.
In the end, while the attention produced by being a AOL/HuffPo distribution is good, the depth of the conversations are, well, lacking. And the treatment of commentary afterwards makes us all seem like a freak show in some way. It’s almost a case where we are too almost vulnerable. I dislike the lack of control. I still feel guilty and somewhat responsible for bringing Kim there and then the massive explosion of nastiness that ensured in the comments.
To me, it is clear that we need to have our own show. The response to that idea posted to Facebook was met with enthusiasm. I have gone over all the instructions and documentation for the Google Plus Hangouts OnAir. I think it will be fairly easy to pull this off or at least to get it started. It really is a very cool concept.
We have a link that I invite you to for our webcams that we both log into. When we are ready, we go live “OnAir”. We talk about adoption stuff. Then we go “offline” in about 15 minutes. The “show” airs on Google Plus and also streams to YouTube. A taped version stays on YouTube that can be later edited and then the edited versions automatically update to Google too. It’s like use a mouse easy. Or at least looks like it!
So here’s the plan to date:
Introducing Adoption Musings- Where the Real Conversations About Adoption Happen
Rather than have a bunch of guests and a bit more chaos, I would like to do one on one conversations. It should be easier to organize and manage since I am pulling this off on a wing and a prayer! Essentially, you and I will sit on either end of a webcam/ Ipad and just talk about adoption. I’m actually really looking forward to being able to actually speak to so many of us! It will be like we are really hanging out talking about adoption in person!
While I am “branding” the idea as “Adoption Musings” for continuity sake, I don’t want this to be about me; I want it to be platform where ALL or voices can be heard. For that reason, I say.. who wants in! I am not restricting it to “known voices” or “experts” in adoption or whatever. I’m thinking if we keep it simple, then once a week would not be too crazy. There are enough of us!
There are a few MUSTs in order to participate:
- You must have Google Plus Account. If you sign into Google for anything, adding Google Plus (their version of Facebook, but hardly anyone uses it) is super simple. Make sure you add a nice profile picture!
- You must have a device that can capture you via audio video. This could be a computer with a web cam or an iPhone or iPad. A head set microphone is needed as well for a webcam for better sound quality.
- Depending on your device used, you will need to install the Google Hangout Application which is free.
- You must be willing to have your name, voice, and face broadcast and placed on YouTube. You could feasibly use a different name or even put yourself in the dark if you wished. That is entirely up to you. Internet “identities” are fine, but know that it could be connected to your Google Plus Account, so keep your accounts straight. This will be on the internet with the first version LIVE an uncut, so if you have reunion/public concerns, you may want to opt out.
- A “show” would be about 15 minutes long and then a break in taping to meet YouTube standards. We can go on and do another “taping” of a continued conversation if needed. I know I can go on and on about adoption issues. Most people won’t watch for too long on live versions, but the recorded videos can be later edited and then embedded in other places online.
I have NOT decided on a time frame yet, but I would LOVE to launch sooner rather than later. I think realistically, after the first of the year. I would like the time frame to be somewhat “scheduled” meaning every Wednesday afternoon, or Tuesday evenings, or Sunday mornings, but I am really flexible. So I open that up to you. I know that even for online “shows’ consistency is important. If I have to have a varied schedule, then we can, but I guess then I will need some kind of calendar or something telling people when we are live. That can be done too.
If are interested in joining me to make this happen please fill out this survey here. Please feel free to tell me whatever you feel is helpful. I left a bunch of open text fields for that. What I will do if take that information and turn it into a list of times, topics etc and we can go from there!
As always, please feel free to share about to interested adoption related lists, groups, etc.